Back to top

The indispensable source for professionals who create, implement and service technology solutions for entrepreneurs to enterprise.

In the Zone

Windows 10: see the latest stats on usage, apps, hardware

Peter Krass's picture

by Peter Krass on 03/26/2018
Blog Category: Devices

More than 600 million.

That’s how many devices worldwide now run Windows 10 on a monthly basis, according to the latest figures from Microsoft.

This number takes in the full range of devices that can run on the Microsoft OS. That includes desktops, laptops, tablets, Xbox One consoles and mixed-reality headsets.

Microsoft Surface Book 2

Microsoft’s Surface Book 2: optimized for Windows 10

Let’s break it down…

Win10 Stats

> OS installed base: Windows 10 has gotten more popular in the last year. Back in Feb. 2017, Win10 was on 39% of all PCs and tablets, Microsoft says. Now it’s on 47%.

Most of that gain was taken from Windows 7. The older OS’s share declined from 45% of all PCs and tablets in Feb. 2017 to 39% last month.

One thing to watch for in the future will be the adoption of Windows 10 in S Mode. Announced earlier this month, it replaces Windows 10 S, a version of the OS designed for schools.

Starting with the next update of Win10, consumers will be able to buy a new Win10 Home or Pro PC with S mode enabled. And business users will be able to buy Win 10 Enterprise with S mode enabled.

> Most popular Win10 app category: On downloads, entertainment leads. Last month, entertainment apps accounted for 19% of all downloads from Windows Store.

The next most popular app categories last month were productivity (14% of all Windows Store downloads); social (also 14%); utilities & tools (13%); and photo and video (10%).

> Revenue mix: How do most users prefer to pay for Windows 10 software? That depends on whether they’re using an app or a game.

For apps, nearly two-thirds (62%) of the revenue comes from paid apps. The remainder (38%) comes from in-app purchases.

With games, it’s almost exactly the opposite. Here, nearly two-thirds (61%) of revenue comes from in-app purchases. And the remaining 39% comes from paid apps.

Under the hood

> Memory and storage: Almost no change here. Windows 10 devices have about as much RAM and storage now as they did a year ago.

For example, back in Feb. 2017, nearly half (46%) of Win10 devices had 4GB of RAM. One year later, that’s changed by only 2 percentage points, with 4GB now found on 44% of Win10 devices, Microsoft says.

Same thing for storage. A year ago, the most popular capacity was 500GB, found on nearly a third (31%) of Win10 devices. One year later, 500GB is still the most popular storage size for a Win10 device. Now it’s found on 29% of devices, a drop of just 2 percentage points.

> CPUs & GPUs: When it comes to Win10 central and graphical processors, there has been some change in the last year, but not much, according to Microsoft’s figures.

A year ago, the most common CPU setup was dual-core, found on nearly three-quarters (72%) of Win10 systems. One year later, that’s dropped by 5 percentage points: Dual-core CPUs are now found on 67% of Win10 systems.

Similarly, the popularity of 4-CPU systems has increased a bit. It rose from 28% of all Win10 systems a year ago to 32% now.

Integrated GPUs are somewhat more popular, too. They rose from 64% of all Win10 systems a year ago to 69% now, Microsoft says. Most of that gain was taken from discrete GPU form factors.

Check out even more Win10 stats on this Windows and Microsoft Store trends page.

 

Back to top