5G reliability may be more important to consumers than speed. Digital banking will make many of today’s financial-services companies irrelevant, even bankrupt. And the number of predicted IoT devices has dropped like a stone.
These are findings from some of the latest IT research. Here’s your tech provider’s update.
5G: reliability vs. speed
IBM has just announced its intention to acquire Linux provider Red Hat for approximately $34 billion. IBM describes the deal as “the most significant tech acquisition of 2018.”
It’s certainly one of the year’s biggest deals. IBM says acquiring Red Hat will help it become the No. 1 hybrid-cloud provider in what should be a $1 trillion market.
How’s the PC business doing? If you’re Microsoft, very well indeed.
Microsoft last night reported financial results for the first quarter of its fiscal 2019.
Overall, the numbers look strong. Total revenue for the company’s first quarter was up 19% from the year-earlier quarter, hitting $29.1 billion. Net income was up an even higher 34%, to reach $8.8 billion.
Convertibles are cool laptops your customers can also use in tablet, media player or tent modes. To keep up with their evolving demands, HP has refreshed 2 of its older Spectre convertibles and introduced a new device to its Elite line.
Here’s your tech provider’s update.
Spectre x360 13 and Spectre X360 15
Voice-connected devices are now found in 1 in 4 U.S. households. And the best city in America for tech jobs isn’t in Silicon Valley.
Those are key findings from the latest IT research. Here’s your tech provider’s update.
Voice tech surges
The holiday season is starting, and that means it’s time to think gifts. What are you going to give this year to that favorite customer, family member, friend — or even yourself?
Intel is here to help. The company just published its 2018 Holiday Look Book, a gift guide for 2-in-1s, notebooks, gaming desktops, all-in-ones and more, all running on Intel microprocessors.
Multicloud is mainstream. Fully 85% of organizations now operate multicloud environments. And most of the remaining 15% plan to go multicloud within the next three years.
So finds a new IBM survey of 1,016 C-level executive in 19 countries and over a dozen industries. The survey was conducted earlier this year, and the results were released by IBM this week.
Cyber-attacks on large corporations may be the ones that make the headlines, but small and medium businesses are vulnerable to hackers, too.
In fact, more than 60% of SMBs polled in Sept. 2017 by Ponemon Institute said they had suffered a cyber-attack in the past 12 months. And more than half (54%) experienced data breaches in the past year that involved customer and employee information.
Think your customers are prepared for the end of Windows 7 basic support, coming in Jan. 2020? Think again. Many don’t even know when it’s coming.
According to a new poll report, nearly a third of IT and cybersecurity pros (31%) wrongly believe Win7 support has already ended. Oops.
If you have midsize companies among your customers, the odds are good that they’re either doing or planning a digital transformation.
Among large organizations, only 4% have no digital initiative at all, according to research and advisory firm Gartner.